The Launch4Life team had the recent pleasure of touring Google Headquarters in Mountain View, CA. It was an awesome and eye-opening event. While it is true that Google is a really big business, we learned that its a very cool company to work for.
The first thing we should tell you is that it’s actually very difficult to get a tour of Google HQ. When we learned that we’d be in the Santa Clara area, we thought it would be awesome to add on a “field trip” to Google. So, I began looking into how to set up a visit. Well, it turns out that you can ONLY tour the silicon giant if you have a prior invitation, or, if you know someone.
Matt gave us the most awesome tour of Google and we so appreciated all the time (hours!) he spent with us. He took us from building to building, explaining Google’s philosophy, work environment, and why everyone loves working there.
Janet in the stress-relieving employee ball pit
Gillian riding one of the Google campus bikes
Here are just some of the reasons that makes Google a very cool place to work:
- Free carpooling buses (with free wifi) that allow people to commute easily from San Francisco.
- Dog-friendly workplace that encourages you to bring your dog to work & sit at your work station.
- Complimentary bikes that any employees can hop on and ride across the Google campus. A great way to encourage exercise and having fun.
- Giant team meetings with the Google executives where everyone and anyone has a voice.
- Ongoing education & inspiration with industry experts. They just had Tony Hseih from Zappos, talking about his book Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose.
- Dining room that offers free food (awesome variety and very healthy) to all Google employees 24/7.
Janet & Gillian in the Google Cafeteria where employees eat for free 24/7
At the end of the day, we walked away with the appreciation that one of the reasons that Google’s successful is that it takes care of its people. They are a great business model because they are proving that a fun and nurturing place to work makes happier employees… which in turn makes excellent products and services.